“While every client we work with has different concerns, we have the insight and experience to offer ways to reduce their estate tax exposure while meeting their overall estate planning goals.”
Sophisticated estate and tax planning. We regularly represent high net worth clients and multigenerational families. Our attorneys also work closely with corporate and individual trustees, executors, and other fiduciaries on complex estate matters. We use intricate planning techniques while focusing on maximizing the transfer of wealth. Over the years, we have saved clients hundreds of thousands of dollars in estate taxes.
Estate and Trust Administration you can count on. This also includes the probate and administration process in the Surrogate’s Court. During the administration phase, we guide clients step by step to ensure the trust/estate is administered properly. This may involve preparing and filing estate tax returns, assisting in the collection of assets and payment of debts, preparing and filing petitions and related documents with the Surrogate’s Court, and preparing receipts and releases and accountings. Our attorneys are admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, Florida, and the District of Columbia.
We support Inclusivity. We welcome the opportunity to advise and design trust and estate plans for modern families such as:
- Blended families
- Extended families
- Single persons with or without children
- Single-parent families, and
- Unmarried or cohabitating couples with or without children.
We keep our clients well-informed. We are proud to offer an educational series called “Pivot to Plan.” These are short, 30-minute casual and informative discussions on trust and estate-related topics. For example, our series has covered topics such as:
- Aging in Place and Beyond
- Why Your Estate Plan Needs a Business Valuation
- IDGTs, ILITs, and Gift Trusts: Demystifying Trust Vehicles for Tax Planning
Since COVID began, our clients have been open and active about estate planning. Additionally, as a result of economic changes, several high net worth clients are taking advantage of gifting and transferring wealth while values are low, and interest rates work in their favor.
We offer bespoke estate planning. We don’t do cookie-cutter estate plans.We design plans which are tailored to each client’s specific needs using strategies such as:
- Dynasty-type generational Trusts
- Sales to Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts
- Revocable Inter-Vivos Trusts
- Grantor-Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs)
- Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRTs)
- Family limited partnerships and limited liability companies
- Life Insurance Trusts
- Charitable Trusts (CRTs & CLTs)
- Special Needs Trusts
- Medicaid Asset Protection Trusts
Lassar & Cowhey’s Trusts and Estate Administration Services
- Probate: Preparation and filing of all court documents needed for the appointment of Executors & Personal Representatives
- Appointment of Administrators, or Administrators c.t.a.
- Marshaling and valuation of assets
- Use of disclaimers as a post-mortem tax planning device
- Federal and state estate tax returns including representation before tax authorities concerning all aspects of estate tax audits
- Fiduciary accountings
- Distribution of estate and trust assets to beneficiaries
- Miscellaneous proceedings throughout the Surrogate’s Court
What matters to you matters to us. We understand the issues that may be keeping you up at night. So we’re here – to put your mind at ease and ensure your estate plans are the right plans for you. And as things change in your life – like marriage or divorce, children and grandchildren, the growth of your business, or retirement – you can rely on us to keep your plans up to date.
Estate Planning Personal Data Form
Letter of Instruction to my Family